More WordPress Theme Coding

When last I mentioned my WordPress coding project, I felt, at the time, that I was 70 percent of the way to where I want it to be.

Right now, I’d say I’m at ninety percent.

That twenty percent between a week ago and now was time-consuming, though, because I’ve reached the ancillary files. The basic theme files, the ones that create the header, output the recent posts, display the sidebar and the footer, and pull the comments, were done — and they’ve been done, save for some minor tweaking. No, what took the time was creating custom sidebars for archive and search pages, because I wanted to pull a custom loop for them. And then I needed to debug a file that created some custom widgets for the theme; I had some code that would trigger a fatal error. I spent two hours toying with that, until the fatal error no longer triggered and the widgets worked.

At this point, I see two more major issues.

First, typography. I have the necessary CSS code written; I just have to add it to the stylesheet.

Second, social media. I want to add social media sharing buttons. I’m still trying to decide what the best approach would be. I have an idea of what I want to do; I’m just not sure if it’s feasible.

Finish those two things, and then it’s done.

That will then give me seven months to migrate data onto the new server before I switch over completely to something roomier and more modern. 🙂

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *