Yesterday, cleaning around the office, I went through a pile of papers. There, at the bottom, was the galleys for “Make-Believe.” A few months ago after going through the galleys for misplaced punctuation and misspelled words I left the papers there, and other things–from job postings to work spreadsheets to store supply orders–were placed atop.
I wanted to keep the galleys. So, I made a scrapbook for them.
I went to Office Max, picked up a binder and page protectors, loaded the galleys, sheet by sheet, into the page protectors, and made a little scrapbook. Then I printed off the original pitch, the revised outline, and several e-mails–some from the editor, some from people who read the story–and those e-mails, too, went into the binder. Once the story’s out, if I receive e-mails on it then, those too will be printed out, shoved into a page protector, and filed away in the scrapbook.
I don’t know if other writers do this–save the galleys, save the correspondence. It seemed like a good idea, even the letter saying, in a paraphrase, “Here’s your check.”
“Make-Believe” has a binder. I feel accomplished. 🙂