I found this top ten list of warning signs of being a fontaholic. Let’s run down the list, shall we?
10. You spend more time looking at how the name of the car in front of you is written rather than where you’re going.
Can’t say I’ve done this, no.
9. You have 3 or more fonts on your computer that are fantasy or science fiction languages/symbols that you can’t read, but hey… they look cool.
Yes, I’ll cop to this. The various Tengwar fonts, various and sundry Klingon and Vulcan fonts.
8. You’re the only one you know who thinks being able to have only a few HUNDRED fonts on Windows 98 is a problem.
It is a problem. Windows, even XP, gets wonky when you have more than, oh, 600 fonts installed. Damn it, Bill Gates, I want more fonts! 🙂
7. You agonize for hours over which font to remove from your maxed-out system in order to install the cool new font you found today.
Yes, I’ve been here.
6. You visit a Font-of-the-Day site for two and a half months before finding a font you haven’t seen before.
There’s a Font-of-the-Day website? Oooh….
5. You try to explain to your friends why you like fonts so much, and it only makes you sound geekier.
Explaining to people that finding the right font can take more time than what I’m writing actually takes makes it sound like I have a problem….
4. You truly believe Ray Larabie is a GOD.
I actually have no idea who this is.
3. You state with conviction that you can never have enough calligraphy fonts.
No, you can’t. I have a CD just of calligraphy fonts. And then there’s the couple dozen I’ve downloaded. And let’s not even get into handwriting fonts….
2. You don’t have any outline fonts on your computer when you already have their solid versions because the outline versions would only take space away for other fonts.
Not quite! I do like having outline fonts, as I can use them in graphics programs and then color the inside.
And the number one sign you’re a fontaholic:
1. You can often point out lettering you see in advertisements or logos by their font names; “Hey, that’s Colonial Uncial!”
No comment. 🙂