This week I returned to a long-delayed project — my website redesign.
Every intention I had of having it finished months ago went fell by the wayside. I lost interest in blogging in the spring. Posts became sporadic. I didn’t even mention when this blog passed its tenth anniversary. (It was five weeks ago, in case you were curious.)
When I finished writing “The Ginger Kid” I decided to take a look at what I had.
It wasn’t bad. It wasn’t what I wanted. But it wasn’t bad.
I wrote down a list of all the things I wanted for the site and all the things I needed to do to make that happen.
What I want, basically, is a magazine-style front end on a blog site to create something that’s more like a professional CMS-powered site than a blog.
I scrapped a lot of the work I’d done and started from scratch. I’d work on it here and there, coding for an hour here, an hour there. Tuesday night I had enough of the theme files put together that they would probably work, so I opened up my FTP client, sent the files on their way, and crossed my fingers…
It didn’t work. I had a couple of bugs to chase down (I had some function conflicts), and those were easily squashed. By and large it was coming together.
It’s not finished yet. I think the JS image slider will work, but I’ve not actually tested it yet. There are still some minor details I need to take care of from the list I wrote up a few days ago.
Well, one of the items isn’t minor. I understand what I want, but I’m not sure if it’s achievable.
Oh, and I need to code the LiveJournal calendar archives-style page that I created for my present site a few years ago. It was an interesting piece of code I cobbled together way back when.
Otherwise, it’s close. And it looks nice. 🙂