A couple of people have asked whatever became of my blog redesign, which I started working on about two weeks ago, give or take.
Well, it’s done, actually. I didn’t felt any need to announce to the world, “I did new stuff with WordPress! Come take a look!”
I know, that’s so unlike me. I finished up the coding that weekend, when the snow fell.
The major features of the redesign:
- I decided that I needed to have links to some of my work on the front page of my website. If you visit the front page and the front page only, you’ll see a short bio and blurbs, with cover art, for three publications. If you reach any other page in the website, these won’t appear. Figuring out that code was fun. On the other hand, the CSS code was easy; I pilfered that from solucija‘s free Internet Sharing website template.
- I dropped the number of posts WordPress displays in the blog from 10 posts to 5. The people who will notice this the most are readers on the iPhone, Droid-powered phones, and other mobile devices. People reading this site on an RSS feed won’t even notice.
- There’s a feature I don’t know quite how to describe, because it’s not presently active, as there’s no content in a particular category at the moment. I have tested this, however, and when I start using it, it will be particularly neat. That said, people on mobile devices or readers through RSS feeds won’t notice any actual difference; it will just be a different kind of content as a blog post.
- I reinstated the tagline for my website.
A lot of work, for a couple of aesthetic things. I’m pleased.