Stolen from novelist David McIntee:
Name six of your fandoms without looking below the cut, then answer the questions.
I’m interpretting “fandom” broadly—I like bands, I like books, I like television shows. So, broad definitions here.
My six are:
- The Beatles
- Doctor Who
- The Lord of the Rings
- Star Trek
- Boston Legal
And behind a cut, we’ll answer the questions!
- Who is your favourite character from #2?
I don’t have a favorite Beatle. I know, it sounds bizarre, but I genuinely do not have a favorite. Sometimes I’m in a Paul mood. Sometimes I’m in a George mood. I don’t have a favorite.
- Who is your least favourite character from #4?
- What would a crossover between #1 and #5 include?
Hellboy/Star Trek—What if Hellboy were immortal and he were still alive in the 23rd century where he had to stop an invasion of the Federation by the Elder Gods?
- Who is your favourite ship from #6?
My favorite relationship on Boston Legal is obviously Alan and Denny—they play off each other so well. The romantic pairing I’d like to see? I wonder what would happen if Alan and Shirley ever got together.
- If you were to set one person from #3 and one person from #6 on a blind date, who would they be?
Shirley Schmitt and Jack Harkness.
- If you could meet one person from #4 and spend the day with them, who would it be, and what would you do?
Eowyn, and I’d want her to demonstrate her prowess with bladed weapons.
- If you could change one thing about #2’s plot line, what would you change?
The Allen Klein business dealings that ultimately fractured the band. Oh, the band was going to fracture anyway, but Klein’s involvement really split open the wound. Remove Klein, and the band soldiers on into 1970. Imagine an album with “Maybe I’m Amazed,” “It Don’t Come Easy,” “What Is Life?” and “Working Class Hero.” I can.
- Explain a relationship between two people (not necessarily romantic) from show #5, and why you like the relationship between them.
I like the Spock/McCoy relationship, because no matter how antagonistic it gets it’s obvious that the two of them really do respect each other and what they have to say.
- If the lead title characters (first name in the credits) from #1 and #3 were both drowning, and you could only save one, who would it be?
Hellboy. The Doctor will regenerate.
- If you could change the title characters’ order in the credits for #4, what order would you choose?
This so doesn’t apply.
- If you were able to add a new character, any kind of character you wanted, to the storyline for #6, what would the character be like, and what would their role be?
I’d bring back Jimmy Berlutti from The Practice as a regular legal sparring partner for Alan Shore. Jimmy the Grunt would give Alan a run for his money in the courtroom.
- What happens in your favourite episode of show #2?
The Beatles make transcendant music.
- If you could kill off one of the characters in #1, who would it be and how would you do it?
Liz Sherman. Drowning. No, I’m not sure why.
- If you got the chance to visit the set for either show #3 or show #5, which would you choose?
- If you could date anyone from any of these shows, which show and which person?
Sarah Jane Smith, from Doctor Who. I mean, really. Who didn’t see that one coming?
And that covers it. No, picking literary properties and a favorite bands probably wasn’t a good idea, as some of the questions didn’t apply. Well, live and learn. Live and learn.